Sunday, June 7, 2009

A BEAUTIFUL SATURDAY



Last weekend was busy with wedding showers and graduation parties. This Saturday was full of activity as well. What a beautiful Saturday we had.

It started Friday…



Because little girl kitty decided that she would like to dump the remaining amount that I had all over the floor, I found myself in need of more laundry detergent. So, DD and babies came over for some laundry-detergent making time. The children milled around, the stove wafted out the aroma of clean, and we visited…like family should. (Have you ever noticed how no one REALLY visits anymore? Neighbors turn the other way to avoid eye contact, co-workers busily text as they walk the hallways… It’s all so impersonal even if at times, I am part of the problem.)



Yesterday, Saturday, I met DD downtown at a local historic mansion where she was to drum for a belly dancing troop. We were joined by my other DD and my own dear mommy, who I didn’t know would be there.

Some of the pictures are blurry.

One group is finishing playing music while the dancers are getting ready to perform.



DD drumming for a bellydancer...















This woman is demonstrating spinning. She was working with alpaca wool and had many different kinds as well.

I wish that our part of the country had real re-enactments, which includes the period dress. I’m not sure why there isn’t a greater interest. It would lend so much more to the event, I think.



Nonetheless, it was still quite interesting…



This gentleman is exhibiting how to make cordage, or what we would call rope. It is very fascinating to see how it used to be made. As he said, “You couldn’t just run down the road to Wal-Mart if you were out.”

He had yucca, dogbane, stinging nettle, and other plants that he stripped down and used.





Good old-fashioned kettle corn…



Though we didn’t know it, there was a parade in town…



So, of course, we went…







One of the many historic houses downtown…







Afterwards, it was off to a restaurant to have some hot chocolate and warm satisfying soup, as it was a rather cold and rainy day in June…





Yes, it was a beautiful Saturday, indeed.

No comments: