Monday, January 26, 2009

A DAY AT HOME



I wasn’t feeling at all well this morning and so didn’t go into work—bad on the paycheck—good to stay in bed for the morning time.

I got to feeling better and was able to cook a nice and hot yet simple meal for my family. The attitudes of everyone are so much different when they can come home to the smell of dinner cooking. My son walked in from work, sniffed the air, and said, “Mmmmm…MMMMMMM!” Then when he found out that it was one of his favorite homemade soups, he was extra pleased!

While I was in the kitchen, our sink piping sprung a leak, so I called my husband to let him know in case he needed to pick up a part on his way home. I think that the smell of dinner maybe even helped his mood as he walked in, knowing that he had work ahead of him. (I am most likely just humoring myself, but nonetheless…:)

The mommy in us never leaves, you know. The female spirit indeed has wonderful innate qualities to nurture, to love, to soothe. I yearn for days gone by when I was “just” a homemaker and a housewife. Well, today, I got to play that role again. Along with cooking, a load of laundry was washed and hung. I love to hang anything possible. It not only saves on electricity, but it is more pleasing to the soul and reminds me of days when I smelled Gramma’s fresh sheets hanging on the line. I don’t have a clothesline, so the basement rod has to do. :) I also got some crafting done, my bedroom tidied up, and a dessert made—something that is never accomplished at my house. In fact, more than one person said, “What’s with all the baking?” “Well………I pondered to myself…………if I were financially able to stay home, this would be the norm, sillies…………as in days gone by…”

When dh got home, we ran out to get a part, and I grabbed my knitting bag along the way. We had a cozy drive to Lowe’s (yes, you CAN have a cozy drive to a hardware store), and I sat in the car and crocheted on Elliott’s quilt while Steve ran in to get the pipe. Those little times together are cherished so very much. Holding hands, getting a hug, seeing a family who is happy that Mom is home, that hot food is waiting for them…these are the true treasures in life.

How I yearn to be able to stay home and perform the chores of homemaking rather than working for a wage. Will it happen while I am still able to enjoy my health and my strengths and abilities to do such? Only my Heavenly Father knows, but I certainly revel in these days, when I am able to “just” be a homemaker and a housewife. :)


PUMPKIN BROWNIES



INGREDIENTS

4 eggs
1 c. oil (I use Olive Oil)
2 c. sugar
1 tsp. vanilla
2 c. pumpkin
2 c. flour
1 tsp. soda
2 tsp. cinnamon
chocolate chips as desired

Mix by creaming eggs and sugar and then adding rest of ingredients.

I mix all of my ingedients in a large measuring/pouring cup. I like to add chocolate chips at this point for an extra treat!





Pour into pan.



I forgot my chocolate chips so added them to the top of the batter.



Bake at 350 for 20 to 30 minutes.

NOTE: I generally use two small cookie sheets. If you have to use an 8 x 8, which I did tonight, bake longer and watch so the top doesn’t get over done before the inside is cooked. You may have to turn the oven down to 325. Brownies are done when toothpick inserted near center comes out nearly clean.

FROSTING

3 oz. cream cheese
½ c. butter (recipe calls for margarine, but butter is healthier, so I use it)
1 tsp. vanilla or to taste
Powdered sugar to taste

Mix all ingredients and beat. Frost brownies when cool adding additional chocolate chips if desired.




I don't know the original author of this recipe, but it is one from a cookbook that I have had for well over 20 years. It was put together by our Fourth Ward Relief Society and entitled Seasoned with Love. For those of you who are not members of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints, the Relief Society is a women’s organization dedicated to the welfare of all women everywhere.

No comments: