Wednesday, November 19, 2008

GARDENING, HARRIED, AND ROOSTERS

I am very excited about a new way of gardening that will hopefully fit into my full schedule. I do so yearn to garden again but really haven’t been able to. In our paper yesterday, a gentleman told about a couple of different ways that he grows his own food utilizing a cart and five-gallon buckets and also above-ground container gardening. I am excited to view the web site and to learn more! My son has agreed to help me in building the containers and hopefully a compost bin as well. My daughters are much like me in wanting to go back to the basics, and my oldest daughter will probably be setting up a gardening system at her house as well. I am so looking forward to it.

It seems that every day, I yearn more and more toward going back to the basics; a simpler life; a pure and real life. Would that I go return to the time when I stayed at home as a mother and homemaker. We did that for years, but my husband was tired of always having to work two jobs, so for the past 10 years, I have worked a regular job. I don’t blame him at all for not wanting to keep working that way. It’s a catch twenty-two unfortunately. Life today is such a rat maze of harried running all day long; it just isn’t good for a person. As I sat taking my half-an-hour lunch (twenty minutes by the time I’ve gotten my food), I thought how pitiful it is the way that we are expected to always be at a baseline of high stress. I stuffed my food down (I prefer to eat slowly) while cramming in some study time. I had studied all night until 3:30 this morning and then got up at 6:30 for work. Before I knew it, it was time to race back to work then head up to the college to cram in some more studying before taking my test then finally heading home exhausted. My whole goal today was to come home, rest, and blog with people such as you who are also craving the life that I am. Ah, I’m here at last…for tonight at least. : )

A very depressing realization came to me tonight that my straight-A average has officially taken a dive. I don’t think it is ever again attainable, once it has been lost. That is so discouraging to me, as it goes on my school record for life. I guess that this time around in my schooling, I just haven’t been up to only getting a meager amount of sleep each night before heading to work in the morning like I did a couple of years ago. I just can’t seem to push myself hard enough this time. I’m not sure if I’ll quit school altogether, change my goals, or what. With the need for time and money to always be available simultaneously, it makes for quite the challenge.

Back on the domestics, my girls bought roosters today and are probably, at this moment, out butchering them. This is a first for them, so it will be very interesting. I don’t know that I could butcher them too easily myself. I could if I absolutely had to, but my heart just hurts for anything that has to endure torture or pain.

No comments: